Thursday, June 23, 2011

Time for Toss Up

Hey puckheads, time for the best segment the NHL and MLS Insight. It's the Toss-Up! Five debate questions are headed your way. I got my answers. You agree or disagree with me? Comment on any decision you disagree with and why you think differently. All right, I assure you, these are some of the best debate questions I've had in a while.


What'll happen to the Flyers next season? Improve or fall down?
Without Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, the Flyers are going to have a harder time getting into the playoffs. Yes, I know that Ilya Bryzgalov is there and I know that Flyer fans are happy for that. But these two guys are what created the Flyers. Without these two, I doubt they'll have a solid chance of making it into the playoffs next season. They'll probably fall down unless they get a Brad Richards come free agency.

Better signee? Andrei Markov or Devin Setoguchi?
This is too easy. I don't care what anyone in Montreal thinks about Andrei Markov. He's not that great of a player compared to Setoguchi. The Sharks need Setoguchi because if they release him, that offense will have a harder time getting pucks into the net. Markov can just hang around and be an assist-maker and while we're speaking of it, the Canadiens couldn't count much on Markov come playoff time and he completely screwed it up when they lost to the Bruins. Setoguchi is the better signee.

How do you think of next season's tripleheader? Good marketing or bad television?
Please. Don't tell me this is bad television. The more people watch hockey, the more they figure out that if there is a football lockout during the season, they'll come crying over to hockey for their sports. A tripleheader is a slam dunk win-win situation. I would love to watch all these games on television because I don't have teleportation powers. Yes, this is good marketing. I don't know why it should be bad television.


Where will Jaromir Jagr end up? Detroit or Pittsburgh?
Jagr met with Lemieux today on possibly going to the Penguins, but Jagr is getting old, close to his 40's. Why do you take a chance on Pittsburgh when Detroit is known to bring in those aging veterans and make it work? Pittsburgh is not known to have an aging veteran team, they are more known as a younger, hungrier team. Jagr should go to Detroit because he'll have a chance to play with Datsyuk and Lidstrom. I think he will end up in Detroit, even though Pittsburgh seems likelier.

Salary cap raise? Good idea or bad idea?
Why can't they just get rid of the salary cap? Is this all about the Kovalchuk deal? The salary cap is probably just bad money from as far as I can see. It got the Devils in trouble, it could get the Flyers in trouble if the NHL decides to investigate the deal with Bryzgalov. I don't think getting rid of the salary cap, however, helps teams. I just think it gets into even more trouble when they sign somebody and there's something more suspicious behind it. To keep it is a good idea. To make a big deal out of it is a bad idea.

Well, that was a great toss-up. Plenty of debates for you guys to have on your own. Disagree or agree with my assessments? Comment here or on Facebook on why you think it's different. Check back often as more toss-ups come up your way and also check out my blog column on the Flyers' moves. See you later, puckheads!

No comments:

Post a Comment