Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Awards Went Like This...

...There were some upsets and some expectants and there were some people that completely went off by surprise with tonight's Awards. Some of the biggest names included Corey Perry, Nick Lidstrom, plus others. But who really won and did they really deserve it? Well, right now, I'll be looking through each category and see if I got this right or wrong.


Hart Trophy
I saw this coming but plenty of other people didn't. Corey Perry won the Hart, as I thought he would. Unfortunately, it came as a surprise, as many thought he didn't produce as much as Daniel Sedin or Martin St. Louis. I'll get this straight: Corey Perry is the most important thing the Ducks have. He has been able to help the Ducks get into a playoff berth. That is why he has this trophy.

Vezina Trophy
Tim Thomas won it and it was deserved. Yes, the others had superb years but it was Tim Thomas that meant whatever could be meant to the Bruins. He was the exceptional player in goal and he was what drove this team to win the Stanley Cup. No doubt in my mind that Tim is the best goaltender right now. Sorry, Luongo fans, wait until next year, then convince me.

James Norris Trophy
It seems like Nick Lidstrom is the only winner of this trophy. But again, he is the best defenseman so far in the game. Of course you can make a case for others, but Lidstrom's defensive talent right now is why he's winning it again. He is a solid defenseman who plays to the point and provides some offense as well. I like this guy and I like the fact that next year, he'll have the same thing to play for in what could be his final season before retirement.

Jack Adams Trophy
Dan Bylsma kind of earned this one because he was able to keep the Penguins in the playoffs, despite losing Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby for most of the season. I think those factors plus effort to stay within the race helped Dan Bylsma win this. I thought Barry Trotz would win it, but then again, Pittsburgh had a better year.

Ted Lindsay Award
Outstanding players in the league and there are plenty of them. But Daniel Sedin was the outstanding player this season for Vancouver. Sure they didn't win the Cup, but without the help of the other Sedin, I'm not sure where the Canucks would be. And in the regular season, Daniel Sedin proved he is that outstanding player that deserves the Ted Lindsay award.

Calder Memorial Trophy
I didn't have a pick on this one, but Jeff Skinner was kind of on my list for the potential winner. Of course Cam Fowler's a defensemen who wasn't going to win this, but I don't know why Jeff Skinner is the trophy winner and not Logan Couture. He helped the Sharks, while the Hurricanes missed the playoffs. You're telling me that Couture is not worthy of rookie of the year? I have doubts about why the GMs picked Skinner over Couture, but I guess they know more than I do.

Frank J. Selke Trophy
If you give this trophy to Ryan Kesler, you might have been right about this. This forward knows the defensive aspect of the game and I think he's a talent that really provides both the offense and defense that the Canucks needed to win. Let's just hope that keeps up, because everyone knows they'll have to beat Vancouver next season and this guy seems destined to get the Canucks that elusive Stanley Cup next year.

Masterton Trophy
Come on, Ian Laperriere? I don't know much about this guy, except the fact that he stayed completely out of my way while I was looking at the Flyers' problem in their semifinal battle with the Bruins. I think Emery had a tougher road to go, and you're saying he's not deserving? Sure, Laperriere might have gotten himself back into the hockey shape, but he didn't exactly help the goaltending or other problems when the Flyers needed it. Some things just get thrown out at you.

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy
Martin St. Louis was expected to win something and I'm guessing the Lady Byng is probably the best choice. His sportsmanship on the ice proves it all. He's a player who has great abilities and knows how to be that great all-around player the Lightning needed to be successful in the regular season. We should look for him next season when we're thinking about who should go to the Stanley Cup Finals next season.

King Clancy Trophy
I didn't pick this one either because I didn't know there was one up until a few weeks ago but I still didn't make a pick. But Doug Weight is one of those players whose has great leadership abilities, especially on the ice. And when the New York Islanders were going down, it seems Doug Weight was the only ice holding them up. Now that he's retiring, what'll happen to this team? Only time will tell.

General Manager of the Year
Steve Yzerman did a great job and I thought he would win. I was also going to pick Mike Gillis because he helped create the franchise that went to the Stanley Cup Finals this season. Now the question is: Can he do it again? He'll have to get the right players to make it, but this season, he showed that and that's why he's our GM of the player.

That's it for all the Awards. Some of you might have been disappointed and some of you may have been distraught over what you saw. Well, next season is a new season, and we'll see what happens. What players will stand out? What coaches will make changes to help promote the team? And finally, who will win it all next season? And who will win the Awards next season? We'll see you around, puckheads. I'll be blogging on Draft Day, puckheads. Keep checking back for more.



Hey fans, Steven Stamkos is going to be on the new NHL 12 cover. Don't want hockey to end? Do you have a Playstation 3? Well, if you haven't got it yet, NHL 11 is the right video game for you. Manage a team and get them to the Stanley Cup Finals, or create your own team and see how far you go. Create a player and see how they progress or trade to get players that you want. NHL 11, the video game that keeps playing hockey. Hey, it might be summer, but in NHL 11, the hockey lives on. Get yours today before the new NHL 12 comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment