Monday, February 12, 2018

Johnny Manziel Getting Back Into Football?

It's been a while since we heard from Johnny Manziel. In fact, the last time he suited up for an NFL team was the Cleveland Browns back in 2015. Well, now he's back in the news, hoping to gain a little sympathy from the masses and possibly a return to football.

Manziel spoke with Good Morning America on Monday morning and revealed that he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about a year ago. He revealed that since he got that news, he has stopped drinking.

He said about his diagnosis, "I am taking medication for bipolar, and I am working to try to make sure I don't fall back into any type of depression, because I know where that leads me and I know how slippery a slope that is for me."

Johnny Manziel's revelations might put him at odds with him returning to football. Currently, he received an offer to play in the CFL with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but both sides have yet to agree to a contract, and it's unclear if the Tiger-Cats knew about this before Manziel went public with it.

Manziel further told GMA, "I am coming back from a huge downfall...I don't know what kind of comeback it will be, but I know I want to get back on a football field, to what brought me so much joy in my life."

Manziel posted this after the interview on Twitter:



Manziel is indeed right about his quote. We are not all perfect beings, and I'm glad to see that Manziel is trying to get his life together. But in terms of his football prospects, especially those in the NFL, I will refer to something that Tony Kornheiser made on PTI today in the Big Finish. He basically said that it doesn't look like Johnny Manziel will get an offer to play in the NFL again because there's too much water under the bridge. That basically means that Manziel has already done the damage and hurt his chances and that it is pointless to change the past.

I tend to agree with Tony on this matter. Look, I loved Johnny Manziel when he came onto the big stage at college. He was one of the best, young quarterbacks that we had at that time. But when you look at all the off-field troubles he had as well, it made me question whether or not he would actually fare well in the NFL once he got there. To no surprise, he burned up well before he could become a big factor on the big stage.

It's unfortunate what has happened, but Johnny Manziel's best bet at this point is the contract with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He's got to prove he can handle stuff there and keep himself under control, and even if he does that, an NFL team might not even come after him because of his past. It can take you one wrong turn and you're right back to where you started, and I'm not sure any NFL team is willing to risk it. Manziel has had struggles and he's definitely not perfect, much like the rest of us, but the NFL is a public image league, and anything that can hurt their image, they're not going to take on, and I think going after Manziel is definitely not in their mindset going forward. Hell, even JaMarcus Russell's not getting signed and he didn't have the troubles like Manziel had.

Manziel is trying. We all understand that. But, like many other analysts and sportswriters, we feel the comeback of Manziel in the NFL is slim. All we want for him is to be healthy and to have a happy life, and I think he understands that too. The CFL is the only option he has and I think that will be his career. It's over in the NFL. Too much water has put Johnny Manziel out of NFL business and most likely for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment