Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Maple Leafs Have a New Logo

The Toronto Maple Leafs sit in the bottom half of the Atlantic Division and because people there feel like they will miss the playoffs again, the team is making a change to start the next season.


That's right: A new logo. Have a look to the left. That's going to be the new logo. Well, old logo, depending on how you look at it. The Maple Leafs had this an alternate logo a couple of years ago, but now it looks like Maple Leafs management is trying to bring some life back into Toronto and apparently, this logo change is the first step in that process.

The Leafs are already rebuilding as we know it. The logo is not a rebuild. I understand the idea of going back to the past and bringing back old things to help revitalize the organization, but this logo doesn't really get me as a way to bring things back to the way they were. Now, whether or not this logo stays past their 100th season is still to be determined, but for right now, I like the logo they're currently using. One is that it's very modernized and it shows how retro it is on a jersey. Who wouldn't want to wear that? Two is that it shows a commitment to Toronto. This logo has been used since 1970 and I would imagine fans would have grown to love it. Now, I'm not saying that the old logo is a good choice, but this is the logo that I've known through my life and have grown to love it, so maybe some fans share my opinion on this.

Logo changes are always hard to adapt to. I remember when the LA Kings changed from their crown logo to the one they currently have now, but when I got used to it, I realized it feels better than that old one. The Anaheim Ducks also changed their logo as well, getting rid of the words and leaving the Duck footprint. As a fan, I actually like the duck footprint by itself. But as for the Maple Leafs, maybe this change will be a good thing, maybe it won't. But either way, as a man who loves logos and retro stuff, I think the logo looks good the way it is, but if this is a way for the Maple Leafs to turn their fortunes around, then let it be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment