Sunday, September 19, 2010

Writing a Lot of Essays

A blog post will be written about Bobby Ryan tomorrow. He recently got a 5-year deal from the Anaheim Ducks and I'll write a post on what I think about the new deal and the future for my Ducks.

In the meantime, let me write something that has gotten me feel a little tired and overwhelmed all the time: Writing essays. Yes, yes. Writing essays is not fun for anybody, but it's a requirement in middle school, high school, and college.

Well, see, I go to Whittier College. Now this college is a writing intensive school. You know what that means? More essays. Lots of essays. Essays that blow your brain up and leave you feeling flat.

Writing essays is not something anybody should be ashamed of. Sure we have problems with mechanics, writing, grammar skills, and so what. But the fact of the matter is we have no control over what essays we do and how we do them.

We're trained in very different areas of essay writing. I was taught that the thesis statement is the first thing you say in a paragraph. Now after listening to my peer mentors and my faculty advisor say that the thesis statement comes at the end of the sentence and a hook comes at the first, I was thinking "What the?"

Yes, I do have a different way of writing and Whittier College feels like it should change that so I live under a different level. It doesn't really make sense. We can write an essay however we want but now we have to learn a different way to write?

Heck I'm just saying: I may be a writer, but I'm not a pressure cooker. If I write under pressure or in a different system, you'll see me get an F faster than a bird can learn how to fly.

So yes essays are tough and things always seem to go downhill whenever somebody writes an essay. But lift your head high. We're not all losers at this time and sometimes we even learn a lesson from them. Take essays like an adventure. Write the first few words and let the pen and the mind take the rest.

We don't love essays and sometimes they do haunt us, but it's for our benefit to have success in the outside world. So take the essays seriously. They might be hard and they might be tough, but in the end, it'll all be worth it, both as a writer and anywhere in the future careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment