Friday, May 7, 2010

Blog about Nils Gilbertson


So as you all know, this is mainly a blog about hockey, which is why it is named Reid's Hockey Insight. Before that, it was Reid's Angels Blog, where I talked about all sports in general as well as posting a few things I did in my Web Design class. Well, you know the Web Design posting has stopped and I found it hard for me to talk about all sports so I switched the Reid's Hockey Insight.

But today, since there is very little news coming out of the NHL, plus two games playing today (Bruins-Flyers and Blackhawks-Canucks) I'm going to blog about a certain friend of mine at my high school.

His name is Nils Gilbertson and he is two of my classes: Creative Writing and Economics. You know, you think you never have anything to say much about a guy you either know or don't know. But I'm going to go off the record and says that there's so much to be said about Nils.

You know, when I first met the kid, I thought he was just ignorant and a guy who I didn't think I could get along with. I thought he was some kind of bully who gives pleasure by threatening younger kids.

I was totally wrong about Nils as the days and high school years progress. We got to know each other, maybe not seen as friends just yet. I felt as though our friendship was slowly building with each small step. Of course, we had other friends we had to care about, which is what probably delayed a solid friendship for some time.

I learned something surprising about Nils when I read one of his twelve-sentence autobiographies in Creative Writing class. When he was younger, he used to have very little friends. He would hang out by himself, walking around school and trying to get a sense of what was going on, something that I do almost all the time now.

I thought to myself and said, "Wow, I never knew this about Nils." It made me realize that Nils was not the man I thought he was. Of course, he has lots of friends and is playing on the baseball now, but long ago, he was not the same guy. I think he was probably more like me (though I'm not sure that much.)

When I think of someone right now, I figured he had started his popularity and athletic status at such a young age. Even though he did manage to jump immediately to athletic skills, the popularity was slowly growing. Now he is a mastermind of both areas, has had a relationship, and is confident in himself to go far.

Nils plans to attend UC Berkeley next year, and I know that is a big step for him. But I wish him the best. We only got a few more weeks together before it's summer and then finally college. Our friendship seems to be solidifying more and more. I hope that our friendship works out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment