Monday, July 4, 2016

Taking a Look at Cam Fowler

Is Cam Fowler really asking to be traded out of Anaheim? This is a subject I wish I didn't have to discuss, but because I'm a Ducks fan, a huge Ducks fan, I have to take point on this. So let me explain the story behind this:

Back on June 29, around the time after the NHL Draft happened, he opened up to ESPN's Pierre LeBrun about being surprised he was not traded before the draft. He has said he loves being in Anaheim and loves being a Duck, but feels that GM Bob Murray's hands are tied and that he might be looking to deal me (Fowler)

I think Bob Murray actually values Fowler more than Fowler realizes. First off, Fowler is an important part on the Ducks defense and played pretty well last season before walking into the Nashville situation that ended on a heartbreaking Game 7. That being said, I don't think Fowler is going to be traded, at least not anytime soon or possibly before the season starts. I think Murray wants Fowler to take point when it comes to leading defense, and I think Fowler needs to understand that yes it may be a business but some GMs find you a part of the team and realize that you need to step up and take command of the situation.

To me, Fowler is growing up a little slower than what I saw on the ice. He had said he was surprised he wasn't traded, which either tells me he would rather go play somewhere else or he wanted to follow the money. Bob Murray can pay him enough money to stay in Anaheim, so I don't see why Fowler would think there's more money for him somewhere else. Either way, he has said he likes being a Duck, so I think he should stop with all the NHL Draft surprise talk and just focus on getting his game in check and getting ready for the new season. Trust me, the Ducks are going to need a lot of momentum and a lot of their own talent in order to make an improvement on what was "a great season that ended in heartbreak."

However, if he does want to be traded, and something tells me there's a sniff of trade in the air, it is possible that Detroit will be asking for a defenseman. They need one and it makes sense for Fowler, since he calls Michigan home. If possible, if he can't stay in Anaheim, the best choice for him would be to try to get traded to the Red Wings. Right now, the Ducks can hold steady and they have plenty of time to do something about Fowler before he hits free agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment