Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Here Comes the Suspensions

Those suspension verdicts really came quick today. Now it's time to look at them and see if they got it right. First, let's start with Senators defenseman Jared Cowen.


He has been suspended for two games for his head hit on Buffalo Sabres center Zemgus Girgensons. He forfeits $31,794.88 in pay and did not have any previous suspensions. He did elbow Red Wings center Pavel Datsyuk in the jaw, leaving him with a concussion, but there was no hearing on that case. On this case, I think the suspension fits the crime. He used a head hit so he's gotta sit for some games and Girgensons did remain in the game, so this suspension is enough for me. Let's get to the other one.

Lightning right winger Richard Panik has also been suspended for two games for boarding Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner. He will forfeit $7, 589.74 in pay. I'm less enthusiastic about this one, though. I thought he should've gotten at least one more game. I say this because the league said that Alzner, "was in a very vulnerable position at a dangerous distance from the boards. Alzner returned to the game at least. So two games is fine. At least he's going to be gone for a couple, but this was a very dangerous hit and made you want to cringe a bit. Kinda made me think he would get three, but two was also my possibilities for suspension, so I believe this one is good enough as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment