Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Should Brad Marchand Have Been Suspended?

Welcome to 2012, puckheads! Okay, I know this seems a bit late and such, but I was a little too busy recently with my classwork, especially since it's Jan Term and it seems like it's becoming a living nightmare of some sorts. But I hope you can forgive me now as we discuss another big hit problem that occurred in last Saturday's game between the Bruins and the Canucks.


Bruins forward Brad Marchand was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for clipping Canucks defenseman Sami Salo in last Saturday's game. Later on, he was given a five-game suspension and will forfeit approximately $152,000. As every player generally is, Brad Marchand was disappointed with the suspension.

"I'm obviously a little disappointed, but I wasn't expecting as many games as I got," Marchand said. "That's the decision, and we have to move on."

But like other players in the league, he says he will not change his style of play. As many of you remember, Alex Ovechkin and Matt Cooke previously had statements that they would not change their style of play. But will Marchand hold up his word? Or do we sense a change? And should he have been suspended?

Once again, the popular issue of head shots comes to play. Of course, it did give Sami Salo a concussion so I believe there is some justice behind this ruling. But just like many other players and team personnel from around the league, there are going to be multiple stories. I personally believe that if you cause a player to get a concussion, there should be justice. So I'm going to believe the stories about Salo getting a concussion for right now. If there's more developing stories in the future, that might change.

Bruins President Cam Neely believes that the suspension is too long because he believes there was no malice behind that hit.

"I personally believe with Brad that it was more of an instinctual move." Neely said.

Okay, so let me get this straight. Marchand used his instinct and because of that, he landed one player with a concussion and landed himself with a five-game suspension. I personally believe that you should use your instinct if it helps your team. But if it involves a certain player getting injured and such, then I probably wouldn't use my instinct and instead I would use my brain and find the most probable outcome that wouldn't affect the player or myself in any way. Obviously, that is not what Brad Marchand did.

The suspension is fair because it shows the justice behind giving other players serious concussions. We don't need any more good players out of the game and I believe that Marchand should not be disappointed because this is exactly what people around the league are trying to get rid of. The dirty hits need to stop and if it's for personal vendetta, then it definitely warrants a lot more. So listen, puckheads, we don't need our good players out of the game. So Marchand definitely got the justice that he most righteously deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment