Wednesday, November 10, 2010

First Edition of Wednesday Toss-Up

Guess what, puckheads? I'm debuting something new that you might have seen on shows like ESPN's Pardon The Interruption. It's called the Wednesday Toss-Up and it'll have a new edition every single Wednesday. Here are the rules: there's a piece of news and you have to chose one opinion over another. Now, unlike PTI, this is all about hockey mainly from events over the past few weeks to stories that have come across the wire. There's a lot of hot topics circling the NHL each day. It's always nice to have a little game of toss up to even the odds. Let's get our first one.

Who is more likely to finish last in the Eastern Conference? Sabres or Devils?
This is tough because both of these teams are having trouble offensively and worse problems defensively. They are both in very tight divisions, only being separated by 7-10 points. I don't think the Devils can get hot any time soon because they are virtually unable to create enough offense to help them win games. Martin Brodeur is not getting any help from this team. It's the Devils.

McElhinney's first career shutout? Impressive or nothing?
I love Curtis McElhinney and I'm very glad that he got the shutout. But the Islanders lost seven straight games coming into Honda Center, even though they played very well tonight. I don't think McElhinney has faced enough good competition for his shutout to be considered impressive. I will go with nothing because I don't think the Islanders are particularly a good enough team for anything the other team does to be considered impressive.

The Toronto Maple Leafs losing seven in a row. Concerning or safe?
When I think of the Toronto Maple Leafs, I think that everything they do is concerning. When they got off to a strong start at the beginning of the year, I thought they were eventually going to tumble. And right now, they seem to be tumbling. It's never safe in Toronto anymore. People there are always worried about their team. This is definitely concerning.

More likely to make an impact for their team? Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin?
I haven't heard anything from Tyler Seguin for me to consider him an impact player for his team. Taylor Hall has already scored two goals but the Oilers are having trouble. The Bruins have enough players on that team that Tyler Seguin doesn't necessarily have to help them. I think that Taylor Hall will be more of an impact for his team because they're at the bottom of the Western Conference and they need help.

NHL players picking All-Star Game teams? Cool or a bad idea?
The All-Star Game should have been picked by the players instead of dividing them up into the East and the West. It just puts certain players at a disadvantage. What would be cool is if Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin were the captains. That way, the All-Star Game would be so fun to watch. This is cool, this is the perfect idea.

Well, that's all I got for this debut edition of Wednesday Toss-Up. Tune in next Wednesday for some new toss-ups. Until then, keep reading my blog posts and I'll see you around, puckheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment